Monday, May 9, 2011

Going the Extra Mile for My Clients (Straight Down if Necessary)

My wife and editor is one of the most accepting individuals I have ever known. One of her few pet peeves is when people use the word "literally" incorrectly. Her favorite example is, "I literally died when..."

I have always felt a strong commitment to my employers and clients. I would do anything I can to help support them. As of Saturday I can say "I would literally jump out of a plane for my clients," without annoying my wife. The truth is, I probably would not have jumped out of the plane if I were not doing it for one of my clients!

Extra Special People, Inc. (ESP) held a clever fund-raiser in which volunteers sought to raise at least $500 in donations in order to sky-dive. The money helped send a kid to ESP camp. The fund raiser was a success with over $12,000 raised!

I sought to work with Extra Special People because I believe in their mission and want to support them. The easiest way to support them was to help with their human resource needs. When the opportunity came to support them by jumping out of a plane, I felt the call to help.

The problem is, I also felt tremendous fear and trepidation. I hate roller coasters. Heck, I hate driving in the mountains. It took me years to be comfortable flying on a plane. What was I thinking?

I can say that up and through the moment of the jump, I was thinking "What was I thinking?"

In the end, I am glad I did it. I am glad to show that I support ESP to the point of breaking through my own fear and completing the task which I set out to complete. While I always felt I could, it is nice to know that I proved it.

I feel confident in saying that I am literally willing to do everything I can to support my clients, whether that means becoming an E-Verify Designated Agent to help my clients comply with the new state law, helping my clients with duties that are unrelated to human resources, or jumping out of a plane as part of a fundraising effort.

My goal is to help small companies committed to legal compliance and ethical business dealings succeed. I achieve this goal by providing low cost human resource assistance utilizing my knowledge, skills, and abilities. I go a step further by offering any assistance I possibly can, like helping to market my clients or participating in their fund-raisers.

Maybe this post is a bit of a "toot my own horn" post, but I am proud of myself. I am proud of what I did, but I am also proud of why I did it. Integrity is extremely important to me, and last weekend when I jumped out of a plane, I proved it. I overcame my fear and followed through on my commitment to my client. So, "Yay, me!"

As part of that commitment to help clients, I am now an E-Verify Designated Agent. I can ensure clients comply with the provisions of SB 40, which requires employers with 10 or more employees to utilize E-Verify. As a Designated Agent, I can help employers with the following:

- Creating and managing cases in E-Verify
- Creating and managing client accounts
- Overseeing cases created by clients
- Creating Reports
- Updating Company Profile Information
- Reseting passwords for your company’s users

It isn't jumping out of a plane, but it is still helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment